Saturday 3 September 2011

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

So, at the moment I'm working on both my personal project around the moon landings, and also my dissertation which is focused on the film 'Blade Runner' (not very original I know) amongst other things, and because of the space/sci-fi nature of both projects, there has been some crossover in my research. For example, not long ago when I was researching into sci-fi posters for my space project, I came across this stunning book cover design by Justin Mezzell, submitted as part of the Re-Covered Books project, run by Bobby over at The Fox Is Black design blog. 

The design is a new cover for the book 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' by Philip K. Dick, which is the book that the film 'Blade Runner ' is based on. I absolutely love everything about this design. I love the sans-serif type used which has that retro sci-fi poster look about it; streamlined and futuristic. The limited palette of colours used are also great, slightly sombre and also creating nice contrast between the elements. I also love the central alignment and symmetry (for the most part) of the design, something I'm quite drawn to; it's incredibly balanced. 

The circles used look as if they could represent eyes, a key feature in the book as the eyes are used via the Voight-Kampff machine to find replicants; and also have a slightly celestial, planet-like look about them which links nicely to the on-world/off-world themes of the book. The dreamy clouds also help establish this as they could also represent atmosphere around the planets. The red lines also work well, creating a nice reference to wires and connections, perhaps in the brain of a replicant. They also have an almost neon-sign look about them by being bright red, a feature perhaps more commonly associated with the film rather than the book. Nice.

Check it out below, along with some other cool submissions to the project. Enjoy.




Tristan McNatt


Hannes Beer


Mitch McArtor

No comments:

Post a Comment