Friday 14 September 2012

Poster: Magic Show

I've just finished working on a poster for a short filmed created by graduates from The Northern Film School at Leeds Met University, one of whom was my brother Stuart who was director of photography.

The film is entitled 'Magic Show' and is a dark comedy about a magic show in the woods, set in the early 20th century. The film was made for a competition about promoting multilingualism, for more info check out the site of writer/director Richard Wheatley here.

The idea behind the poster was to make it look like an old fashioned magician's poster from around the time the film is set in the early 20th century. I liked the idea of having the poster black and white like a photograph and just keeping the red of the bow tie to hint at the sinister nature of the film, but I did a colour version also. I also included the smokey red lines to link to the idea of illusions and theatrics etc., and was also a good way to link the type with the image with a bit of an art nouveau flow.

Check out both colour and bw versions below along with my initial drawing...






No comments:

Post a Comment