Friday 21 January 2011

Childrens Books - Laura Carlin

With an upcoming competition brief to design a front cover for James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl, I went and had a look around a few book shops to check out what sort of stuff is being published at the moment. Among the many, many bright coloured and more traditional line type illustrated covers, there were a few really nice ones that stood out to me. 
I noticed a lovely cover for The Iron Man by Ted Hughes, that had been done by illustrator Laura Carlin. She has used a mix of ink and line work, along with bold cut out shapes. The cover stood out to me because of the more unusual layout, the slightly muted colours and the hand draw type. On her biography that can be seen here, she mentions about the importance of white space, and I think she has judged that perfectly here, giving the images room to breath. I've posted a few examples from the book below, and remember to check out her page for more examples of her work......

No comments:

Post a Comment