Friday 25 March 2011

Editorial Illustration

For the past week I've been working on an editorial illustration for an article about cheating lie detectors.
We had to choose existing articles from magazines to illustrate or re-illustrate, and mine had a simple photo/collage type illustration of someone hooked up to a lie detector machine, so I wanted to create something hopefully a little bit more interesting. 
I ended up with an idea of having someone playing one of those electric wire puzzle games where if you touch the wire with the loop it buzzes and you have to start again, as it followed the pattern of the read outs given from a polygraph machine (lie detector). It also represents the article about being able to lie and get away with it, in the sense that it looks as if he is playing along on the level but he's actually cheating as the machine isn't plugged in.
Anyway, I've posted my rough and the practically finished version of this idea below, but I'm hopefully going to have a go at some different ideas before the deadline, as it was recommended I try and be a bit more abstract and do something a bit more visually interesting. 
So take a butcher's below and feel free to leave me a comment letting me know what you think! 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Dominique, :) Just saw this. I really like the idea, but I was thinking maybe you can simplify it. I think the main focus should be the guy playing the loop/polygraph.

    You should include the part where there's a strap on him, and then just show him playing with the loop.

    But I really like the idea a lot. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete