Saturday 5 February 2011

Oliver Jeffers

At the moment I'm working on a competition brief to create a new cover for James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl, and whilst looking at different children's book illustration I came across some really nice illustrations/picture books by Oliver Jeffers. I remember first seeing his work a year or two ago and loving it, and I've posted a few examples below.
In particular I really love his picture books. In one of his books, The Great Paper Caper, he uses a mix of hand drawn/painted illustration and some collaged and different textured papers. He uses paper and shape to split up the scenes or create horizon lines, etc. making them visually more interesting. He also varies the layout from page to page, with one page being a small contained scene surrounded by white space, and another being a whole landscape or cross section. He also uses a lot of hand drawn type which I really love, making the writing part of the image rather than just an added extra.
The Great Paper Caper in particular I think appeals to adults as well as children with its kind of detective themed mystery, and Jeffers makes the most of every page, making it really fun to read and look at. 
Check out his website here for more of his work!

 P.S. My two favourite images are of the animal characters standing on each other to make a phone call in a phone box (how clever!), and a smaller image of a pig cooking some bacon for dinner, which although slightly dark, I love!




No comments:

Post a Comment